Presidential Inauguration 2019
Prayer offered at the Inauguration on 25 May 2019
Almighty God, to whom all hearts are open and all desires known and to whom no secrets are hidden – cleanse the thoughts of our hearts and purify all our intentions by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, so that we join together towards the realisation of the post-apartheid promise of:
“A just, reconciled, peaceful, equitable and sustainable society, which is free of racism, tribalism, xenophobia and gender prejudices; free of corruption and deprivation; with food and shelter for every citizen and where every child born can grow to her/his God-given potential.” (SA We Pray4).
We pray here today – Almighty God, for the President of the Republic of South Africa who is being inaugurated today, His Excellency – President Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa:
- Protect him from all that is evil
- Grant him wisdom and courage that can come from you – Oh Lord
- Prepare and accompany him as he takes the yoke of leadership.
May this be the day when we receive from you Oh God, a leader who has been and is continuously being prepared by you and in the words of the Prophet Isaiah (Good News Bible – Isaiah 32, paraphrased):
- A leader who rules with integrity
- A leader who is surrounded by those who govern with justice and honesty
So that we may have a Government that is:
- Like a shelter from the wind
- A place to hide from the storms
- Like streams flowing in a desert
- Like the shadow of a giant rock in a barren land
- A Government with eyes and ears open to the needs of the people
Oh Lord, we ask that you bless President Ramaphosa; bless that nation of South Africa; bless the Continent of Africa and give Africa peace, justice and dignity. In the Name of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit – may it be so!
(Prayer by President of the South African Council of Churches – Bishop Ziphozihle Siwa)